What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Best Time to Buy?  (Read 23620 times)

Big_Dog

• 2007 Jacuzzi J-470
Best Time to Buy?
« on: June 19, 2007, 01:49:19 pm »
I too am looking to buy my firest hot tub and in need of some advice. I have been doing much researching and have narrowed my choice to a couple of spa's that I will wet test.

I live on the east coast and everyone I have spoken with that owns a spa has indicated that Janurary-February timeframe is the best time to buy because of the discounts at this time of the year.  

Also, there are several regional Hot Tub/Spa "fairs" where many dealers get together at a specific location to show their wares and offer pretty good deals if you buy on the spot.

Curious if anyone has any advice on either topic, I would like to buy before this winter but if the price savings is substantial I can certainly wait a few more months.  

Hot Tub Forum

Best Time to Buy?
« on: June 19, 2007, 01:49:19 pm »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Best Time to Buy?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 02:03:26 pm »
Hey dog,

I'm on the East coast (MA) too.     I agree that in the begining of the year seems to be when folks can get some good deals.  Usally these deals are on the previous years "left overs".

Keep in mind though if you are in a snow region on the east cost, the weather may keep you from actually installing it for several months.

Other folks have reported getting some decent savings on floor models. These are usually tubs that dealer has on the floor and used for demos and wet tests.  (If you do get one of these, make sure you get new filters, and the warranty is full). Although you can stumble across these anytime, they seem to be in abundance at the begining of the year, when dealers are moving out old inventory and want the newest models on thier showroom floor. Keep an eye open for scuffs and dents.

Remember:

Never ever buy at a homeshow.  

Never ever buy from an internet dealer.

And there is one manufactuer/dealer  who advertises a spa and garden show (16 different manufactuers competeing for your business! This weekend only at the Expo Center! Hurry! Hurry! Hurry!)    Bzzzzzt. Stay far away from these guys. They are only 1 manufactuer and it's a high pressured scam (and road side tent sales too.)  They do this across the country and it's  not worth your time.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 02:07:27 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 03:00:28 pm »

Never ever buy at a homeshow.  

I need to modify this one.

Only buy at a home show or fair if the exibiter is a local dealer with a showroom that can service you.

My 2 cents. ;)
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Big_Dog

• 2007 Jacuzzi J-470
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 03:08:34 pm »
Thanks for the responses, I am in MD, and have narrowed down (I think) to Hot Springs Grandee or Vanguard. Both are listed close to 10K and was looking to get a little better deal if possible.

There are a couple of Pool and Spa Expo's/shows throughout the year that many of the regional dealers attend to demo and show their spa's. Definitly would only buy one if I have a dealer local.  

cburk0677

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 03:27:46 pm »
$10k for a Vanguard? Wow, I live in Indianapolis and bought one at the end of 2006 for $8400 and that included tax, delivery, steps, cover, coverlifter, startup chemicals, etc.

At $10k I think you being taken for a ride.
Enjoying SpaTopia in my 2006 Hotspring Vanguard

galen

• Maxxus
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 03:28:21 pm »
What wrong with buying at a home show Drewstar? Thats where I bought mine.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 03:29:45 pm by galen »

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 04:07:37 pm »

I need to modify this one.

Only buy at a home show or fair if the exibiter is a local dealer with a showroom that can service you.

My 2 cents. ;)

+1
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 04:11:25 pm »
Generally speaking there is no better time to buy.

Couple of ways to save money

Wet test every model you are interested in and narrow down a few spas brands/models.
Then, call everywhere within a 2 hour radius of your house and try and find a leftover model.
I found the further away from the cities I went, the best deals I found.
Negotiate over the phone, make sure you understand everything about the model so the saleman knows you have been shopping around and you are serious and ready to make purchase.
Make sure you are ready and let them know you are ready to sign.

Most important part is finding the tub you want and then finding the right price. The dealer is not important like everyone on this boards makes it seem. This board is all dealers and that is part of their sales game.

I wish they sold these quality tubs at the big box stores because I would have bought mine there in a heart beat. If that tells you anything.

Strange industry, good luck.

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 04:13:36 pm »
Oh one other thing. Install it yourself if are willing.
It is very easy if you have access to your spot without the need for a crane or lift.

You can use picking up the hot tub and installing yourself as a negotiation tool also.

I saved close to $500 picking up and installing myself.

It was a piece of cake let me tell you.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 04:33:25 pm »
Oh one other thing. Install it yourself if are willing.
It is very easy if you have access to your spot without the need for a crane or lift.

You can use picking up the hot tub and installing yourself as a negotiation tool also.

I saved close to $500 picking up and installing myself.

It was a piece of cake let me tell you.

I wouldn't paint this with such a broad brush. Usually it is pretty simple. However, many times it is not, even for the people who deliver them as their job. Most people want the piece of mind to have this done for them. I would not recommend it for the average person but for some it may be the way to go.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 04:40:31 pm »
The dealer is not important like everyone on this boards makes it seem. This board is all dealers and that is part of their sales game.

That certainly may be your opinion and you're welcome to it but my experience differs from your vast experience!
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Chris_H

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 04:49:45 pm »
I would concur with Spatech t.u.o.

webboy

• hey bub
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 04:52:53 pm »
I'm not a dealer but I am in the spa business. When people on this forum say that where you purchase may depend on the dealer. They (I) suggest this because you will be forming a mutually beneficial relationship. You will eventually need help, advice, service on any hot tub that you buy. If you pick a hoser of a dealer you expect bad, slow and none existent service when you need it most. They can turn the best hot tub into the worst experience and vice versa. This doesn't mean that you don't haggle for a good deal, as for when is the best time to buy, the best deal is had on scratch and dents and last year models. The scratch and dent is my personal favorite, you find a scratch that nobody will see once you fill it full of water and save a little $$. Good luck ;)

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 07:15:05 pm »
The best time to buy is when YOUR ready, rarely if ever on just about ANYTHING  I have ever purchased was there not a sale or an event of some type happening. I have mentioned this before and this not a if I could, would you thing but simply be direct with your dealer and ask what can they can be flexible on, perhaps they had a special buy on something maybe a color they want to move, perhaps something in stock that has been "walked" around in the warehouse, I think anyone who has ever worked where you have inventory in a warehouse knows what I mean when I say walked around. Simply let your dealer know what you want and how you can make it work for the BOTH of you. I know in the past I have been criticized for mentioning this but I have found being direct and up front will make things go many times in the direction you are hoping.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 10:05:18 pm »
I'm not a dealer but I am in the spa business. When people on this forum say that where you purchase may depend on the dealer. They (I) suggest this because you will be forming a mutually beneficial relationship. You will eventually need help, advice, service on any hot tub that you buy. If you pick a hoser of a dealer you expect bad, slow and none existent service when you need it most. They can turn the best hot tub into the worst experience and vice versa. This doesn't mean that you don't haggle for a good deal, as for when is the best time to buy, the best deal is had on scratch and dents and last year models. The scratch and dent is my personal favorite, you find a scratch that nobody will see once you fill it full of water and save a little $$. Good luck ;)

I completely agree.  I believe the dealer can be as important as the manufacturer, especially when it comes to service.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 10:05:18 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42