What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Insulation question  (Read 2380 times)

Ben Dover

Insulation question
« on: June 22, 2007, 03:06:38 pm »
This may or may not be a stupid question but I have a hot tub thats insulated by thin silver material on the inside of the walls. It looks like it may be Reflectix insulation sold by Home Depot. I have a feeling this is not the greatest insulator.

Can I install those rolls of insulation that would go behind sheet rock walls in a house or used on the floor of an attic to insulate the hot tub?

Its fire resistant and has an R-19 rating.

Hot Tub Forum

Insulation question
« on: June 22, 2007, 03:06:38 pm »

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
Re: Insulation question
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 03:20:40 pm »
I'd spray foam in.

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 05:07:17 pm »
Spray foam would best but it will cost, I have seen spas with regular fiberglass insulation from the factory stuffed in them, not sure how good of a job it does though. The issue with the fiberglass insulation is you do not want to compress it too much, so is difficult to get where you need it in spa. You could try some of that blown in fiberglass insulation for a little better results.
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Pathfinder

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 06:09:15 pm »
I ve used Roxul R22 flexi bat  on many older and inefficient tubs it works well

http://www.Roxul.com

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 06:10:57 pm »
This may or may not be a stupid question but I have a hot tub thats insulated by thin silver material on the inside of the walls. It looks like it may be Reflectix insulation sold by Home Depot. I have a feeling this is not the greatest insulator.

Can I install those rolls of insulation that would go behind sheet rock walls in a house or used on the floor of an attic to insulate the hot tub?

Its fire resistant and has an R-19 rating.

It will work, make sure to avoid your equipment area and for sure put it in plastic bags! It gets ugly wet and you don't want them fibers getting sucked into your air venturies or blower.

Spray on is better, available at grainger dot com
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 06:10:57 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42