What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Setting temp to less than 99?  (Read 3092 times)

NorthWoodsDipper

• Not Brrrrr..... but Aaaaa!
Setting temp to less than 99?
« on: June 18, 2007, 01:29:27 pm »
I have an Arctic Summit.  I seem to remember a post somewhere that said there is an issue with setting the temp less than 100 or 99?  Something about the filtering cycle not working then?  Does anyone have input on this?  We have a hot spell hear and I would like to use my spa if I could safely set it lower, like 98 or so...

Steven

Hot Tub Forum

Setting temp to less than 99?
« on: June 18, 2007, 01:29:27 pm »

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
Re: Setting temp to less than 99?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 02:10:42 pm »
I think what you are referring to is the filter cycles will add heat to a spa so during the warmer months it can be difficult to keep a spa lower then 100 degrees.

As the temperatures rises (ambient) people will tend to use the spa less and this increases the problem. Opening the cover is the best method to cool them down.
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 02:14:03 pm »
My controls are the same, if the actual temp is 2 degrees higher than set temp then it shuts down the pumps as a safety feature.
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

SugarBear

• 2006 Arctic Tundra Legend SE
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 03:03:43 pm »
Steve, I have the Arctic Tundra and have already turned down the water temp to 94 for the summer here in the Catskill Mountains of NY.  Yes, if the temp is two or more degrees above what it is set at, then the filter cycle goes into a hold pattern for 45 minutes until it comes down to within one degree.  When we now use it at 94 degrees, for about 40 to 45 minutes, by the time we get out it is about 97 or 98 degrees.  I may have to set the temp even lower than 94 for the summer months.  I am also considering getting the louver doors that Arctic has for summer use.  That would help get rid of the heat from the motors, and not transfer it to the water.  We are still fairly cool here, yesterday was only about 83 during the day.  The nights still get down to the 50's.  We probably won't set the temp back up to 100 till November.

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 04:01:35 pm »
Gary I'm surprised you didn't know the answer to that one. After all haven't you been in the spa service tech business for many years?

Gary

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 04:48:14 pm »
Gary I'm surprised you didn't know the answer to that one. After all haven't you been in the spa service tech business for many years?

I did answer his questions, I just interpreted it differently. Smart ass ;D

Tom

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 10:10:24 am »
I have an Arctic Summit.  I seem to remember a post somewhere that said there is an issue with setting the temp less than 100 or 99?  Something about the filtering cycle not working then?  Does anyone have input on this?  We have a hot spell hear and I would like to use my spa if I could safely set it lower, like 98 or so...
Steven

Steven, this issue is discussed in the upcoming edition of the Arctic Splash customer newsletter.  If you are not already a subscriber, visit http://www.arcticspas.com/index.php/en/show_content/68/68/ and sign up.

Lowering the setpoint will suspend the filter cycles until the actual temperature drops to below the setpoint.  The trick is to reduce the temperature gradually over the course of a few days so that filtration is maintained.  Other advice in this thread, such as propping open the cover, is also helpful.  But do read the Splash article (comes out June 30) for full details.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 10:13:57 am by Graybeard »

NorthWoodsDipper

• Not Brrrrr..... but Aaaaa!
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 01:19:22 pm »

Steven, this issue is discussed in the upcoming edition of the Arctic Splash customer newsletter.  If you are not already a subscriber, visit http://www.arcticspas.com/index.php/en/show_content/68/68/ and sign up.

Lowering the setpoint will suspend the filter cycles until the actual temperature drops to below the setpoint.  The trick is to reduce the temperature gradually over the course of a few days so that filtration is maintained.  Other advice in this thread, such as propping open the cover, is also helpful.  But do read the Splash article (comes out June 30) for full details.

Thanks Tom, I never knew about the newsletter!  I signed up today.

Steven

nsavarirayan

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 02:02:30 pm »
Hi Guys I lie in the desert of phoenix.  The temp today will reach 112.  I still use my hot tub at night and have the tmep set at 104 (max).  Problem is its so hot hear that the temp goes to 106 and so the ozone and circ pump turn off.  I mean I don't want this stuff turnging off for extended periods.  What is your advice for this situation?

Gary

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 02:22:04 pm »
Hi Guys I lie in the desert of phoenix.  The temp today will reach 112.  I still use my hot tub at night and have the tmep set at 104 (max).  Problem is its so hot hear that the temp goes to 106 and so the ozone and circ pump turn off.  I mean I don't want this stuff turnging off for extended periods.  What is your advice for this situation?

You are in a conundrum, if you filter the water long enough in those temperatures it will raise temperature of the spa. Some spas a switch so you can turn on the feature so the filtering will run all the time (but them you have vent your cover at night) and some spas you can program when you want the circ pump run. If you can program your spa have it filter at night during the cooler temperatures.

If your spa does not have the option of turning the summer mode off or programming the spa can stay hot enough that it will not filter for days (I have seen this), but if you use it ever night that should let enough heat out. If your spa has the Laing circ pump I would not worry about it turning on and off a lot, it is a magnetically driven pump so the multiply switching is fine.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 02:26:06 pm »

What brand/model do you own? Some spas have software to allow you to turn off the filtering during the peak hot part of the day to reduce this overtemp issue that happens when you live in desert places like Arizona, Vegas, etc.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 02:26:06 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42