What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Tub Cover Suction - should I have it?  (Read 4725 times)

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
Hot Tub Cover Suction - should I have it?
« on: June 02, 2007, 06:31:07 pm »
I was just looking somthing up in my owner's manual and ran across instructions for removing the cover.  The manual states that the first thing you should do is to slip your hand underneath it "to break the suction".  Now that I think about it, I remember the cover on my old tub always had a bit of suction when I went to open it.  My new cover has never had a suction seal.  In fact, I have learned to shift it a particular way when closing it to get it to lay flat.  

I am wondering if my dealer incorrectly installed the coverlift which is now preventing the cover from sealing to the top of the tub??? (The old tub did not have a cover lift)  [b]If it is incorrectly installed, can I adjust it?[/b]  It is a CoverMate II (one shock).

Loss of heat from the cover also concerns me a lot more in that as of this month, BG&E is doubling our Kilowatt cost from 11.3 to 23 cents/kw

Any thoughts?
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Tub Cover Suction - should I have it?
« on: June 02, 2007, 06:31:07 pm »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
Re: Hot Tub Cover Suction - should I have it?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 04:42:57 am »
I was just looking somthing up in my owner's manual and ran across instructions for removing the cover.  The manual states that the first thing you should do is to slip your hand underneath it "to break the suction".  Now that I think about it, I remember the cover on my old tub always had a bit of suction when I went to open it.  My new cover has never had a suction seal.  In fact, I have learned to shift it a particular way when closing it to get it to lay flat.  

I am wondering if my dealer incorrectly installed the coverlift which is now preventing the cover from sealing to the top of the tub??? (The old tub did not have a cover lift)  [b]If it is incorrectly installed, can I adjust it?[/b]  It is a CoverMate II (one shock).

Loss of heat from the cover also concerns me a lot more in that as of this month, BG&E is doubling our Kilowatt cost from 11.3 to 23 cents/kw

Any thoughts?
I have the lift with a shock on each side and there is a slight suction when I open it up. I forgot what Covermate it is. :-/

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 09:17:15 am »

Any thoughts?

Rich, Suction on your cover is your friend. Creates a good seal between your warm water and the outside ambient. Even if it's 90 degrees out, there will be heat loss from your water. But in regular mode your circ pump will probably make up for it without the heater, but in summer mode it may kick on more.
Retired

Brookenstein

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 10:58:31 am »
Rich,

I don't have any suction on my Envoy cover either.  Can't honestly remember if if I ever did.  I *think* I did until I did the tennis ball trick one time to keep it from getting too hot, but even still it wasn't much.

Richs100

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 11:16:18 am »
Rich,

I don't have any suction on my Envoy cover either.  Can't honestly remember if if I ever did.  I *think* I did until I did the tennis ball trick one time to keep it from getting too hot, but even still it wasn't much.

Hey Brooke, when your cover is closed, can you feel a little gap between it and the tub at the end where the cover lift is attached?  When the cover is closed, I can push down on the lid and feel a gap.  I think it might be because the dealer did not make sure the lid was laying flat when he attached the lift.  Since it is screwed into the tub, I am reluctant to try to adjust the screws.  I have looked for another way to adjust it, but don't see how I can.  

Anyone got any ideas?

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 11:23:24 am »
You may have the wrong shock.  You might need on with less psi.  Check with the dealer and Leisure Concepts.

;)
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 11:31:16 am »
It is a CoverMate II (one shock).

Any possibility of a picture? The Covermate 2 doesn't have any shocks (the Covermat 3 and Freestyle have two), and the only cover lift I know with only one shock is the Cover Caddy
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Richs100

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007, 12:19:47 pm »
I was wrong.  It is the Covercradle II from Watkins.  One Shock.  Pics below:

Pathfinder

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 11:22:12 pm »
I am I wrong  or is the cover remover screwed into the cover & foam????

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 12:25:24 am »

Yup. And if you saw the inside of the cover, and how it was actually done, you'd be even more surprised.. But it seems to work, and work well.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 12:48:08 am »
I also have an Envoy with a Covercradle--two shock version. Anyway, I've never noticed any suction either. Water collects on the top of my cover in puddles so I'm sure it's not perfectly flat. Never thought about adjusting the lifter.
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Richs100

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 11:09:02 am »
Yeah, now that I remember the suction I had on my old tub, this is kinda bothering me.  Heat must be escaping if it is not forming a seal between the cover and the top of the tub.

Does anyone know if this kind of cover lift can be adjusted short of messing with the screw holes in the cabinet?  It is a large, heavy cover (which will get heavier over the next 2 or 3 years) and I do not want to weaken the integrity of the attachment of the lift to the sides of the tub.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 11:26:19 am »

There is a metal (aluminum? ) bar that rubs along the edge of cover, under the vinyl.  ;)
07 Caldera Geneva

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2007, 01:48:18 pm »

There is a metal (aluminum? ) bar that rubs along the edge of cover, under the vinyl.  ;)

Galvanized L-channel. There's a cut made in the edge of the foam that it's slid into. It's then held in place by double sided tape, and about 1/2 roll of duck tape. Then the whole thing is encassed in poly wrap. The screws go through the vinyl, through the poly wrap, into the L-channel, and out the back into the foam. Installed correctly, everything is sandwiched together and the cover wont leak.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 09:46:59 pm »
It seems like none of the Envoy folks have suction on the cover. I know my cover is not flat. Perhaps this is the problem. Is this someting we should bother the dealer with or is this a non issue?
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 09:46:59 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42