What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Warranties  (Read 2592 times)

Renee

• '07 Jacuzzi J-365 in Nebraska
Warranties
« on: June 13, 2007, 11:54:26 am »
We are currently shopping for a hot tub, and pretty much have it narrowed down to Hot Springs & Jacuzzi.  Does anybody have experience with their warranties?  Right of the bat, it looks like Hot Springs has a better warranty.  But there's a lot of fine print in both of them.  Any clarification or insight would be great!

Hot Tub Forum

Warranties
« on: June 13, 2007, 11:54:26 am »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Warranties
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 12:16:54 pm »
Jaquzzis' warranty:  http://hottubs.jacuzzi.com/warranty-registration/300war_RevC2007.pdf

Hotsprings warranty: http://www.hotspring.com/Spa_Showroom_Hot_Tub/warranty.html

Hotsprings has it on the cabinet and heater, but Jaquizzi has a slightly better one  on the shell and misc parts.

Bottom line is these are two very respected manufactuers. I believe Hotsprings to be one of the best tubs out there  and the one to beat - but that's not to say Jaquzzi is chopped liver.  You could do much worse.  ;)

The dealer can make a huge differnce in warranty work as well. Check out the individual dealer (BBB) and inquire about trip charges and such.

If both dealers checked out well, and the money was the same on each tub (or not an issue),  

I would base my decision on features and let a wet test decide which tub was better rather than the fine print.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 12:18:43 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Renee

• '07 Jacuzzi J-365 in Nebraska
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 06:32:18 am »
We did wet-tests last night, and I guess we like the Jacuzzi layout and jets a little better than the Hot Springs.  I liked the moto-massage on the Hot Springs, but a little bit of it goes a long ways.  I can't imagine I'd like it for 20-30 minutes each time I soak!  But I'm concerned about the warranty on things like the jets.  Hot Springs covers them for 5 years, while Jacuzzi only covers them for 2 years.  Why isn't Jacuzzi a little more competitive in that area?  Are we going to be sinking money into the tub once the 2 years is up??  Another thing....filtration.  Is the Hot Springs truly 100% filtration vs. 75% in the Jacuzzi?   Thanks for you help while we try and make this big decision!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 07:45:23 am »
I have an older Sundance (same manufacturer as Jacuzzi).  Some of my jets are the older style interchangable spinning type with ball bearings (all Sundance jets are bearingless now).  The expectation was that they would last about two years.  The dealer actually gave me extra jet inserts (They are worth about 25.00 each).  I am approaching five years and the origianals are still in place.  The other bearingless jets in my spa should last the lifetime of the spa.  I would expect jet issues on the Jacuzzi to be a non issue.  Also, the two year warranty is on the jet itself.  The jet body is part of the plumbing and gets five year warranty.

As far as filtration goes, the HotSpring 100% no bypass works well as does the Jacuzzi.  Both will give you equally clean filtered water, just different ways to do it.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 10:35:03 am »
Another thing....filtration.  Is the Hot Springs truly 100% filtration vs. 75% in the Jacuzzi?

Yes ma'am, and the HotSpring does it without bypassing the filtration system.  They are the only spa company to do so, to the best of my knowledge.  They are the most popular spas in the world and the excellent filtration is a big reason why.

Good luck with your decision! :)

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 10:47:29 am »
We did wet-tests last night, and I guess we like the Jacuzzi layout and jets a little better than the Hot Springs.  I liked the moto-massage on the Hot Springs, but a little bit of it goes a long ways.  I can't imagine I'd like it for 20-30 minutes each time I soak!  But I'm concerned about the warranty on things like the jets.  Hot Springs covers them for 5 years, while Jacuzzi only covers them for 2 years.  Why isn't Jacuzzi a little more competitive in that area?  Are we going to be sinking money into the tub once the 2 years is up??  Another thing....filtration.  Is the Hot Springs truly 100% filtration vs. 75% in the Jacuzzi?   Thanks for you help while we try and make this big decision!

A wet test will tell you 80% of what you need to know and it's why it's so heavily recommended.

When it comes to filtration, all major brands will be more than what you will need for a residential application and clean, clear water. I wouldn't make this more than 2% of your purchase decision. If Jacuzzi only covers the jets for 2 years, take solice in that these are generally very inexpensive to replace. Warranties in general are part of the cost of a spa and built into the price. Some may be better than others in some areas but believe me that the manufacturer doesn't absorb that cost. You do! ;)

Steve

PS. Water quality is largly due to your water maintenance and most of us could take ANY spa on the market today and turn into sludge with improper watercare and balancing...  ;)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 10:56:48 am by Steve »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 11:53:00 am »

Warranties in general are part of the cost of a spa and built into the price. Some may be better than others in some areas but believe me that the manufacturer doesn't absorb that cost. You do! ;)

So true.  For all goods or services that includes a warranty.  Warranties aren't "free" they are "included".    A price component is added to allow the manufacturer to recoup their expenses providing warranty reimbursements.  The manufacturers sure aren't paying for it out of their end.  
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 11:54:22 am by Brewman »
Brewman

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 02:12:32 pm »
I never stay in any seat of my HS Envoy more that 5 0r 10 minutes.  They all offer something different.  In addition, about 1/2 the time the jets are off.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 02:17:03 pm »
Warrenties are tough.  Are they a reflection of quality, or simply an insurance policy?

I do know they are of value to me,  and when looking at similliar products for simliliar dollars the warrenty carries weight.

I just bought a Charbroil grill.  it was competively priced to like grills by other makers.   But it has a lifetime warrenty on the burners.   Did I get a better product, or just pay in advance the replacement costs of the burners?

In this case, I got a better product (brass buner tubes, as opposed to cheap ss ones).

I have to admit, when someone tries to sell me something with a less than competitive warrenty, and thier answer is "Oh, those are just insurance policies and have no reflection of the real quality" I am very suspicious.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 02:24:02 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

leaky

• Don't ask about the nickname...
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 02:36:43 pm »

I just bought a Charbroil grill.  it was competively priced to like grills by other makers.   But it has a lifetime warrenty on the burners.   Did I get a better product, or just pay in advance the replacement costs of the burners?

Drewstar,

As for burners, you are correct:  The brass are better than stainless.  However, don't be lured into thinking they're "everlasting" like some may have you believe.  I bought a top-end Alfresco about 5 years ago, and by earlier this year I had essentially "burned them up".  True, I use it several times a week, for everything from rotisserie chicken to potatoes and corn, but that much heat, over time, will eventually eat anything up.  Make sure you hang onto your warranty and receipts if the burners are "warrantied for life".

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 02:42:43 pm »

Drewstar,

As for burners, you are correct:  The brass are better than stainless.  However, don't be lured into thinking they're "everlasting" like some may have you believe.  I bought a top-end Alfresco about 5 years ago, and by earlier this year I had essentially "burned them up".  True, I use it several times a week, for everything from rotisserie chicken to potatoes and corn, but that much heat, over time, will eventually eat anything up.  Make sure you hang onto your warranty and receipts if the burners are "warrantied for life".

Right. They are not indestructable, but they are also not "just the same as the other guys and I just paid extra for a warrenty".  In this case it's my understanding the warrenty is a reflection of a higher quality product.

Alfresco grills: I thought they had SS burners?

« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 02:57:26 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 03:19:51 pm »
I would think it could go either way.  A manufacturer might be incented to use better quality components so they minimize their warranty reimbursement costs, or maybe they just "bank" the warranty costs.
 I suppose it varies by company.  
And I bet there are actuaries out there who calculate this stuff down to a surprising degree.  
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 03:19:51 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42