What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: '05 Sundance Optima acting wacky  (Read 3945 times)

Ronnie526

'05 Sundance Optima acting wacky
« on: June 09, 2007, 07:59:22 am »
     About a week ago, I got an error message of "FLO" alternating w/actual water temp (which was dropping), which, according to my manual, means "a flow switch may be bad, or filter is restricted".  I cleaned my filter, & message went away.  Yesterday, (I was @ work) my wife got same message, cleaned filter again, & now everything is going HAYWIRE???? : :-/.  When she turned the GFI breaker back on after filter cleaning, Jet Pump #1 comes on without being turned on, & can't be shut off @ panel.  It will, however, run it's 20 minute cycle & shut itself off as it normally does.  If the breaker is flipped on & off twice, Pump #1 DOESN'T come on, but also CAN'T be turned on @ panel.  Pump # 2 is functioning normally, as are Air Blower and lights.
     I guess my question is .... Is the tub in some kind of "self protection" mode which can be reset in some way, or do I have a bad Control Panel/Keypad??  
     Thanks very much for any insight you Good Folk may have!!  :)    

Hot Tub Forum

'05 Sundance Optima acting wacky
« on: June 09, 2007, 07:59:22 am »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
Re: '05 Sundance Optima acting wacky
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 10:08:51 am »
First let me say that I'm no tech but it sounds to me like you are experiencing some sort of "air lock" at the pump intake. Or it could just be a bad flow switch? Someone else who is ALOT more familar will chime in and should be able to diagnose with no problem.

Ronnie526

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 10:50:07 am »
     Chad .... Thanks for your quick response  :)
     I WAS wondering the same thing about the air lock, because my wife didn't tilt the filter & "burp" it prior to reinstalling it.  Sorry .. I neglected to mention in my original post that I followed the instructions in my manual about releasing the air by partially unscrewing the "Massage Selector" knobs.  I DID hear air release from one of them.  Seems to me that if air was my problem, the pump would be turning on & off & running, but not pumping?  As I mentioned in my original post, if I shut off the breaker & turn it back on, the pump in question (#1) runs & pumps fine for a full 20 minute cycle, then shuts off as it normally does.
     Also, if you don't mind .... Do you know exactly what a "Flow Switch" does?
     Thanks again for your help! :)  

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 12:03:29 am »
The FLO switch detects water flow, which is essential to keep your heater from melting down.
If it senses inadequate water flow, it will disable the heater.

From my experience (2003 Optima), the most likely cause is the filter.  Try powering down for at least 20 minutes.  While that time passes, take out the filter.
Reboot the spa without filters, and observe.  If the FLO error goes away, install clean filters and you should be good to go.  If the FLO error is still there, your filters weren't the problem.

It could also be a bad circ. pump if your spa has one.  That's a small pump the continuously runs and is what might be feeding your flow switch.

If your filters are ruled out, and your spa is still under warranty, call service out there.  
Brewman

Ronnie526

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 10:23:52 am »
Thanks, Brewman....
     I think I have TWO unrelated problems.  We have really heavy pollen here.  My water is sparkling clean, but MAN is my filter paying the price :).  Now I understand the function of the flow switch & the disabling of the heater.  "FLO" error message DOES disappear after filter is cleaned.
     I do think I have a bad main keypad.  Last night, the lights (waterfall & footwell) were flashing on & off.  Keypad button for Pump #1 actually worked a couple of times, then went back to NG.  I believe I'm still under warranty, and I'll be calling Dealer today to schedule a service call.
     Thanks very much for your help!!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 01:11:50 pm »
A bad topside panel will cause the spa to act like it is possessed.  

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 01:16:05 pm »
Its either the topside or the circut board,both of which are covered by your warranty.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 01:16:05 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42